Postings will be kept for 90 days.
Contact information for the 5 employment opportunities at Stepan Company listed below:
|Stepan Company is a publicly traded, major international manufacturer of specialty and intermediate chemical products. Our expertise in chemical manufacturing and global reach are driving factors in our long-term relationships with customers. As we continue to grow, we remain committed to developing practices and products that reflect our core values of responsibility, integrity and innovation in the chemical industry. Stepan Job Postings
Corporate Environmental Engineer, Air – 01749
Stepan Company has a global footprint of manufacturing facilities covering multiple chemistries, manufacturing platforms and associated air emissions and pollution control infrastructure. The primary responsibility of the Corporate Environmental Engineer, Air is to develop, oversee, manage and maintain the companywide compliance assurance program associated with air emissions. The role requires strong technical ability, including interpretation of regulations, computer modelling of air emissions, and the design, operation, and troubleshooting of pollution control equipment, instrumentation and data collection infrastructure. In addition, the scope of the role necessitates an attention to detail, capability to manage multiple and competing priorities, independence, and the ability to influence, communicate and work effectively with a broad range of internal and external parties.
The qualified candidate will have the following education, experience, skills and abilities:
Environmental Engineer – 01620
Stepan Millsdale is a diverse chemical manufacturing facility with multiple chemistries, manufacturing platforms and associated air pollution control infrastructure. The primary responsibility of the Environmental Engineer – Air is to oversee, manage and maintain the site’s compliance with State and Federal air regulations including, but not limited to, the site’s Title V air permit. The role requires strong technical ability, including interpretation of applicable regulations, basic computer modelling of air emissions, and the design, operation, and troubleshooting of pollution control equipment, instrumentation and data collection infrastructure. In addition, the scope of the role necessitates an attention to detail, capability to manage multiple and competing priorities, independence, and the ability to influence, communicate and work effectively with a broad range of internal and external parties.
- Serves as the technical expert on all matters relating to the site’s air emissions, pollution control infrastructure and associated regulatory compliance.
- Functions as the liaison between the site and the IEPA and EPA on air permitting and compliance matters.
- Manages the site’s compliance with State and Federal air regulations including, but not limited to, the site’s Title V air permit and all associated monitoring, recordkeeping, computer modelling, data analysis and reporting.
- Interprets regulations and permit requirements for applicability and subsequently translates into activities, guidance, programs and oversight to ensure site compliance.
- Develops, manages and submits permit renewals, construction permits, permit modifications, stack testing protocols, LDAR monitoring programs, reporting and other permitting activities, as necessary.
- Develops and implements environmental management systems and any programs, work instructions, policies or procedures to ensure the site maintains compliance.
- Maintains and submits accurate compliance records, and any necessary reports.
- Leads and participates in meetings, environmental audits, and trainings for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information associated with scope of responsibility.
- Responds as needed to emergency situations during or after hours.
- Recommends capital expenditures necessary to maintain compliance as it relates to the site’s air emissions and Title V permit.
- Partners with operations and engineering on projects to ensure scope of work, design, operation, and maintenance are compliant and effective.
- Responsible for chemical inventory reporting (EPCRA) and Form R reports.
- Notifies area management with Environmental deviations while providing support
- Provides prompt and accurate feedback to area management
- Other duties as required
The qualified candidate will have the following education, experience, skills and abilities:
- BS degree in Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering or EH&S
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience performing a similar or related role within a chemical manufacturing environment.
- Strong working knowledge of US regulations pertaining to air compliance.
- Demonstrated integrity.
- Strong people skills and an ability to influence others.
- Advanced computer skills including modelling, spreadsheets, data collection and analysis.
Bachelor’s Degree (±16 years)
Manager Corporate Environmental Compliance Assurance – 01643
Stepan Company is seeking a Corporate Manager, Environmental Compliance Assurance that will be based out of our Corporate offices in Northbrook, IL. This is a “hands on” position that provides critical subject matter expertise and program management in support of operational compliance, company sustainability efforts and resolution of complex issues. Highlights of responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Manages the Corporate environmental audit program including its design and execution.
- Oversees the Corporate Environmental Management System
- Establishes template environmental compliance programs for the sharing of best practices.
- Designs and presents training programs for employee development and compliance assurance.
- Provides corporate oversight and technical support for select facility environmental compliance reports (i.e. SPCC, Tier II etc.)
- Oversees the tracking, quality assurance, and reporting of various environmental and sustainability metrics.
- Provides technical support to facilities and projects related to specific environmental subject matter.
- Tracks country-level environmental regulations and advises the business about company impact from proposed and new government legislation.
- Willingness to learn and assist in other areas of EHS&S, including general safety, health and process safety.
- Other duties as assigned.
At Stepan, employees are our greatest resource. Working for Stepan, you’ll enjoy a rewarding and supportive culture that encourages continual growth and development. We offer a comprehensive total rewards package that provides outstanding pay and benefits for our employees.
Minimum educational and work experience includes:
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science or related discipline
- 8 years of relevant experience, preferably within the chemical, refinery or heavy manufacturing industries
- Must have proven environmental management systems and auditing expertise preferably on a global scale.
- Must have advanced organizational capabilities, detail oriented and exhibit the highest level of integrity.
- Must demonstrate skills in leadership, project management, communications, teamwork, and interpersonal skills.
- Approximately 25% travel. Must be able to travel internationally.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be eligible to drive and rent cars.
- Must be capable of climbing stairs, walk for extended periods, and long distance air travel
- Must be proficient in all Microsoft Office and Lotus Notes applications and willing to learn specific database and web applications.
- Must be able to work in Northbrook offices.
- Must be able to work outside normal business hours on occasion.
- Must be able to balance multiple job demands.
- Must be able to sit, stand, and communicate by phone and use a PC for extended periods of time.
|Manager – Global Compliance Audit – 01800
This position manages the review and enforcement of the Company’s compliance program pertaining to regulatory requirements associated with a chemical manufacturing company including , internal policies and procedures to prevent, detect, and respond to instances of legal or policy non-compliance and ethical business standards.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree a plus
- 8 to 10 years relevant experience required
- Knowledge of compliance requirements and regulations impacting the chemical manufacturing industry
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Operates with high ethical standards
- Exercises sound judgment
- Domestic and International travel required 30-40%
Process Safety Professional
Stepan Company is looking for a Process Safety Professional that will be based at the Millsdale Manufacturing Plant located in Elwood, IL, a southwest suburb of Chicago. Stepan Millsdale is a diverse chemical manufacturing facility with multiple chemistries, manufacturing platforms and associated air pollution control infrastructure. The Process Safety Management Leader must be capable of identifying process hazards, evaluating the risk of those hazards, and assist in the development of effective solutions to mitigate risk.
Candidate must be familiar with the fourteen elements of Process Safety Management (PSM) and the EPA’s Risk Management Plan (RMP) rule.
The Process Safety Management Leader responsibilities may include the following:
- Lead Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) on existing and new processes
- Provide oversight for the site Management of Change (MOC) Process
- Manage the site PHA schedule and recommendation implementation plan
- Lead Root Cause Analysis (RCA) investigations for incidents and near misses
- Provide oversight and conduct audits for Pre Startup Safety Reviews (PSSR)
- Provide mentoring and training for site personnel
- Participate on teams responsible to implement new products and processes
- Interact with the IL State Fire Marshal office and Factory Mutual (insurance carrier)
Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) required. Preference will be shown to candidates with chemical manufacturing experience.
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical, fitness for duty test, drug test, and background check.